Sources for Materials
List of vendors who supply useful materials. This list is focused on easy-to-access vendors, who either have a local retail store, an online storefront, or are friendly over the phone for small orders.
- MIT Central Machine Shop Stockroom, 38-001, enter through 39, accepts cash, check, and requisition
- Online Metals
- Aircraft Spruce, thin wall alloy steel tubing
- The Deep stocks steel for welding and aluminum for machining
- Metal Supermarket (781) 933-0176
- Metropolis stocks 3mm and 6mm acrylic for laser cutting
- Inventables Online source for weird acrylic colors
- Altec in South Boston is a source for sheet plastics and plastic fabrication
- J Freeman South Shore source for sheet plastics – best source for large quantities, ask for student discount
- Mcmaster or Central Machine Shop stockroom for small quantities of engineering plastics
- Metropolis stocks 1/8″ plywood for laser cutting and woodworking
- Home Depot
- Artist & Craftsman Supply map
- Rockler has expensive hardwoods map
- Atlantic Plywood, a great source for a variety of exotic plywoods, veneers, edging, etc.
- Boulter Plywood – for larger wood orders. They deliver quickly, for a fee.
Machine Parts and Everything Else
- Robot Marketplace
- Bolt Depot, local source for hardware and a great alternative to McMaster and MSC. Good service, pricing, and website technical resources.
- Pill Hardware
- Inman Hardware
- Microcenter, map
- use caution on Amazon, many boards are poor counterfeits
- Sewfisticated, map, discount fabric yardage in quilting, costume, and upholstery.
- Gather Here, map, high-end fiber arts and quilting supplies.
Moldmaking and Modeling
- Reynolds Advanced Materials local distributor for Smooth-On products in Brighton
- Freeman Supply, source for modeling board / tooling board / prototyping foam, machinable wax, casting supplies, and resins.
Other Shops’ Lists
- ACT (art & photo)
- Artisan’s Asylum
Are we missing something? Sign in and comment!